• Baxter Restoration

Holiday Kitchen Chaos


The holiday season means a full house and a crowded kitchen! With many cooks in the kitchen it can get overwhelming. Which timer goes to which dish? Who is watching the stove? During this time of yer one out of every five house fires starts in the kitchen. Which equates to 188,800 cooking related fires, and over $463 million in property damage according to FEMA.

Kitchen fires can occur for a number of different reasons. The United States fire department responds to around 470 house fires a day. Most kitchen fires happen from leaving cooking equipment unattended or having combustible materials too close to the heat source. This is enough to make you check the stove twice.


Safety tips

In the case of a kitchen fire keep the microwave door or oven door closed. Turn off the power source to the appliance and let the fire die down in the enclosed space.The fire will put itself out when it consumes all of the oxygen in the space. Remember not to open the door, oxygen will only increase the flames. If a pot or pan catches fire act immediately and seal the pot or pan. As a precaution you should keep the lid out while using any pot or pan, this will reduce the risk of a fire spreading.


Grease fires are very common around the holiday season. Kitchen fires spread when you are not prepared for what to do after the fire breaks out. Most people's initial reaction is to move the pot or pan to the sink or outside of the house, this is where disaster can strike and the fire can spread throughout the house. If a grease fire breaks out keep the pot or pan exactly where it is, eliminate the heat source and know when to call for help. If the fire is small and manageable pour baking soda or salt on the fire to suffocate it. If the fire is growing rapidly be sure to call for help and evacuate the house, cut off all power to the fire.


The clean up

After the fire is put out you are often left with a mess. Turn off your AC, open the windows, and turn the ceiling fan on to help ventilate the space. Vinegar works as an effective natural degreaser, there will be grease residue all throughout the kitchen. If you are able to put out the fire quickly there should be minimal damage. Clean the soot and grease as quickly as you can to prevent the rest of the house from being contaminated. If your fire was only in the kitchen you must still clean your entire home. The soot and debris travels through the air ducts in your home and contaminates your air filter, wiping down the walls with a dry sponge will eliminate any build up. Clean the furniture and your beading promptly. If the odor persists in the kitchen you may need to sand down the cabinets and repaint them. For fire clean up that you can be confident in contact Baxter Restoration.

4 views0 comments
Baxter Restoration Offices

4500 Oak Circle Suite B-9
Boca Raton, FL 33431

(561) 826-8277

1106 W Central Blvd
Orlando, FL 32805

(407) 423-5553

8880 Corporate Square Ct #3 & #4
Jacksonville, FL 32216

(904) 329-3002

A Bassett Creek Services Company
www.bassettcreekservices.com

CGC# 1514462

Mold Remediator MRSR #674

© 2020 by Baxter Restoration. Powered By Visionation |   Privacy Policy

baxter restoration logo.png