• Baxter Restoration

What To Do After A Fire Is Put Out


After the fire has been put out you may be relieved yet utterly in shock of the aftermath. It can be hard to see where you should begin the clean-up. You need to take some important steps to get your home back to a livable state.


After contacting the firefighters to put out the fire, you need to get your home inspected by professionals. The biggest question most residence have after a fire is "can I go back to living in my home?" and if not, "how soon can I move back in?" This will be determined after your home is inspected by a professional team to assess how extensive the smoke, soot, and water damage is. You will need to get to work on the clean up process as soon as possible to ensure the best outcome to your home and your belongings.


Time is of the essence, contact your local restoration experts immediately after the damage has occurred.

After the fire has been put out there is smoke and soot all over your home and it's contents. On top of that, you now have to worry about the harmful effects of the excessive water damage to your property.


The aftereffects of the fire can cause a number of upper respiratory problems to the residence and their pets.

All of the porous surfaces in your home such as your furniture, curtains, and carpeting hold soot making soot linger long after the fire has been put out. Soot can damage your lungs and cause irritation to your eyes and even your skin. Smoke damage and the lingering soot can cause a flare of asthma and respiratory problems in individuals who have a pre-existing condition.


If smoke damage is left unattended the ash and soot will permanently discolor the walls and ceilings of your home. After your home has been cleared as safe to enter you can start to clean up the soot from your walls, furniture, and floors by using a mild soap or detergent.


If your fire is minimal then you might be able to handle it on your own (depending on inspection). According to the Red Cross if you mix together 6 tbsp of trip sodium phosphate, 1 cup bleach, and 1 cup warm water you have the perfect cleaning product to start to eliminate the soot and smoke from your homes walls, counters, furniture, and home furnishings. Be sure to test a small area before using the mixture everywhere. It is also important for you to wear gloves and a mask, so the bleach does not burn your skin and is not inhaled directly into your lungs. After you have cleaned the exposed areas using the mixture be sure to clean the area with warm clear water then dry the area thoroughly. Drying the area thoroughly is a key step in remediating your home. After water damage mold begins to grow almost immediately. While your main concern will likely be the harmful effects of the smoke and soot you must also be proactive about the mold that is likely growing in your home after the fire has been put out. Mold beings to grow within 14 to 24 hours after extensive water exposure.


Consult with professionals to assess the drywall and insulation in your home. You might need to get those completely replaced. Those areas are nearly impossible to dry out which makes it hard to ensure that there is no mold growing within those surfaces.


For more information on mold in your home click here

Baxter Restoration Offices

4500 Oak Circle Suite B-9
Boca Raton, FL 33431

(561) 826-8277

1106 W Central Blvd
Orlando, FL 32805

(407) 423-5553

8880 Corporate Square Ct #3 & #4
Jacksonville, FL 32216

(904) 329-3002

CGC# 1514462

Mold Remediator MRSR #674

© 2020 by Baxter Restoration. Powered By Visionation |   Privacy Policy

baxter restoration logo.png